How Should You Hug a Girl?
How do you hug a girl? The thought of hugging a girl can make a shy guy or complete introvert pretty nervous. Even the most casual exchanges of physical intimacy can be awkward for someone who is not too comfortable with the opposite sex. From cute and friendly hugs to warm and romantic ones, this article gives tips on how a guy can ease himself into becoming comfortable with hugging a girl, whether she is a friend, crush, or his first girlfriend.
13 Tips for Hugging a Girl
- Smile as you walk toward her to gauge whether or not you should give her a hug.
- Walk slowly and calmly toward her.
- Don’t hold your arms wide open from too far away.
- Carry yourself confidently as you walk to the girl.
- Maintain eye contact and greet her as you come closer.
- Open your arms wide during your last few steps.
- Decide the side on which you are going to tilt your neck.
- Lean in slightly—don’t lean in to the extent that only your shoulders touch.
- Know where to keep your hands during the hug.
- Don’t let your hands slide down the girl’s lower back.
- Don’t flinch or act awkward during the hug.
- Don’t let go immediately; don’t hold on too long, either.
- Avoid the awkward moment after a hug by preparing a post-hug conversation starter.
1. Smile as you walk toward her to gauge whether or not you should give her a hug.
A cute smile will immediately break the ice, even when you are at a distance. If she returns a warm smile, you can take it as a sign that hugging her probably won’t make the situation awkward.
2. Walk slowly and calmly toward her.
Walking too fast can make you seem over-eager. It will also reveal your nervousness and might make you give off strange vibes. Act natural by walking calmly and slowly as if you were strolling in the park.
3. Don’t hold your arms wide open from too far away.
Unless you are a boyfriend meeting your girlfriend after many weeks or months of not seeing each other, avoid the faux pas of holding your arms wide open as you walk toward the girl—you will freak her out and make her wonder why you’re so excited. Keep your hands at your sides and walk normally as you approach her.
4. Carry yourself confidently as you walk to the girl.
Most of the time, lack of confidence is a deal-breaker when it comes to shy guys interacting with girls. Even if you have the biggest crush on the girl you are about to hug, you need to get a grip on your nerves and display a high level of confidence.
Here are a few tips for maintaining good posture as you walk toward a girl to hug her:
- Keep your shoulders broad, but don’t be stiff.
- Relax and take a deep breath.
- Keep your hands at your sides.
- Don’t stoop—keep your back straight.
- Hold your head high; don’t look down.
5. Maintain eye contact and greet her as you come closer.
Guys must realize that one of the easiest ways to understand a woman is to look into her eyes. Remember this and maintain constant eye contact with a girl as you approach her to give her a hug. Greet her with a “hi” or “hey, what’s up?”
The few words exchanged with her will further relax you and reduce any bit of nervousness you may still feel. It will also lay the foundation for the critical after-hug conversation.
6. Open your arms wide during your last few steps.
Give the girl a sign that you are going to hug her by opening up your arms wide during your last few steps. Make sure that your effort is not half-hearted. Keep your palms open and your elbows stretched out.
7. Decide the side on which you are going to tilt your neck.
you must decide which way you are going to tilt your neck when you hug a girl. She will instantly spot your nervousness if you wait for her to choose a side.
Once you tilt your head to one side and go in for the hug, don’t fumble and move your head the other way. Ideally, the girl will tilt her neck to the opposite side, and both of you will seamlessly fit into each other like a hand in a glove.
8. Lean in slightly—don’t lean to the extent that only your shoulders touch.
Lean in toward the girl when you hug her, but don’t lean to the extent that only your shoulders touch. Your entire bodies don’t need to be touching, but as a rule of thumb, make sure that at least your torsos from the navels up are touching as you hug her.
9. Know where to keep your hands during the hug.
Guys who are shy often fumble with their hands when they hug a girl. Here are some basic guidelines that will help you to be more comfortable with your hands when you hug a girl:
- Don’t clench your palms into fists.
- The safest position is to rest one of your hands on her upper back just below the shoulders and the other on her lower back just above her hips.
- Unless she is your girlfriend or someone you have known for many years, don’t caress her or wriggle your hands around on her back.
10. Don’t let your hands slide down below the girl’s lower back.
It is one thing if you feel like putting your hand on your girlfriend’s bum while you give her a naughty hug (make sure she’s okay with it first, even if she is your girlfriend). But if she is not your girlfriend, she is not likely to prefer feeling your hand on her butt.
Be firm but gentle as you place your hand on her lower back. The slightest slip down to her bum could be embarrassing for both of you.